West London Welcome is a drop-in community centre for refugees, asylum seekers, migrants and other locals living in West London, and is the first of its kind in the area. We were set up by local people active in Hammersmith’s Refugees Welcome Group, and opened our doors in January 2018.
We know that it takes time to find a way to belong, especially after leaving one’s own country under traumatic conditions, so we strive to give people that time. We work together to build a safe, positive experience of community where strangers can become friends. The centre provides a warm space for people to come in out of the cold, have a cup of tea and socialise, learn English, eat good hot food, share ideas, be creative, get legal advice and casework support, and escape often chaotic accommodation arrangements and isolation.
The centre is open every Thursday except during school holidays.
West London Welcome offers:
- A safe social space. People will find warmth, shelter and companionship at the centre.
- A wide range of classes, activities, and support:
- English classes
- Book club
- Exercise, including yoga and meditation
- Advice from lawyers on immigration and housing
- Advice and signposting to other services on employment, health, education, and psychological support
- A hot lunch. Refugee chefs from Welcome Kitchen serve everyone free, delicious food at lunchtime.
West London Welcome is a registered charity: Registered Charity Number 1183261